Connect to a Cause 2022
Connecting People who Care with Causes that Matter
Connect to a Cause is a 12-hr crowdfunding campaign established by the Community Foundation. During the 12-hrs people from all across the nation have the opportunity to support local non-profit organizations serving Lorain County. Make sure to follow us on social media for the latest updates: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or LinkedIn.
We look forward to your support for Connect to a Cause 2022 on Thursday, September 15!
2022 Business Champions
This year, new and exciting sponsorship opportunities are available to our Business Champions that will provide support to Lorain County organizations and encourage gifts from our community on the day of the event.
If your organization is interested in supporting 74 Lorain County organizations by becoming a Business Champion, please contact Laura Malone, Development Officer.
Questions on becoming a Business Champion?
Info for Organizations
Is your organization participating in Connect to a Cause? The Community Foundation of Lorain County is dedicated to providing participating organizations with all the tools to run a successful Connect to a Cause campaign. Please get in touch with the Community Foundation staff if your organization would like one-on-one planning.
Questions about Connect to a Cause?
FAQs for Organizations
Connect to a Cause is a community-wide day of giving created to support our local non-profit agencies in Lorain County. It is modeled after the idea of crowdfunding, which is, according to Google, the practice of funding a venture by raising many small amounts of money from a large number of people typically via the internet. In this instance, all donations will be coordinated by the Community Foundation of Lorain County and then disbursed to participating organizations following the day of giving. The more you promote your participation, the more donations you will receive.
- There is no limit to the amount of money a non-profit can raise during Connect to a Cause. The number of donors is also not limited.
- A minimum of 25% of the organization’s fundraising proceeds from Connect to a Cause will remain in each organization’s agency endowment fund. The remaining donations will be given directly to the organization to support their mission.
- A preliminary donation total will be announced after 8:00 PM on Thursday, September 15.
- Proceeds will be available to organizations around October 1. More details about how and where you will receive your check will be shared at a later date.
Any Lorain County non-profit organization who has an agency endowment fund with Community Foundation of Lorain County is able to participate in Connect to a Cause; however the registration period for all organizations closed on March 31, 2022 and will not be extended.
If your organization would like to open an agency endowment fund so you are able to participate in Connect to a Cause, please contact Laura Malone, Development Officer, at LMalone@peoplewhocare.org. She will walk you through the process and ensure your endowment is opened by the May 31, 2022 deadline.
Now is the time to create a promotional calendar for your organization! You are encouraged to share your participation with with supporters, donors, volunteers, employees, and Board Members.
- Our Connect to a Cause marketing toolkit will be available this summer. The toolkit includes various digital marketing pieces for you to use on your website, social media, in newsletters or in other creative ways. You are welcome to find other unique and creative ways that tie into your organization’s mission to share your message.
- Two informational webinars will be held for participants – July 13 and September 7 at 11:00am. A representative from participating organizations are required to attend both of these meetings. During the July meeting, we will discuss the toolkit and any possible prize offerings. The September meeting will feature day-of-event operations and answer any last minute questions.
- If you have questions or additional suggestions, please contact Brittany Lovett, Marketing & Communications Officer at Community Foundation of Lorain County email@example.com or 440.984.7390.
Two informational webinars will be held for participants – July 13 and September 7 at 11:00am.
A representative from participating organizations are required to attend both of these meetings. During the July meeting, we will discuss the toolkit and any possible prize offerings. The September meeting will feature day-of-event operations and answer any last minute questions.
There is no fee associated with participating in Connect to a Cause for the organization. However, any donation made via credit card will incur processing fees of 2.9% plus $0.30. We have implemented an option for donors to cover a portion of the credit card fee at a flat rate of 3%.
Credit card fees of 2.9% plus $0.30 incurred for each credit card donation will be netted against the match dollar amount. We have implemented an option for donors to cover a portion of the credit card fee at a flat rate of 3% which will be added to the gross gift amount.
Donor chooses not to cover credit card fees
Gift Amount: $100.00
Match Amount: (Add) $4.00*
Credit Card Fee: (Subtract) $3.20
Net Amount to Organization: $100.80
Donor chooses to cover a portion of the credit card fees of 3%
Gift Amount: $100.00
Match Amount: (Add) $4.00*
Credit Card Fee covered by donor: (Add) $3.09
Credit Card Fee: (Subtract) $3.29
Net amount to the organization: $103.80
*Match amounts are estimated in these examples and will be based upon the total amount of funds raised.
The easiest way for your donor to make a donation will be through the Community Foundation website at peoplewhocare.org by using a debit or credit card.
- Checks and cash are also acceptable forms of payment.
- Checks and/or cash must be postmarked by Thursday, September 15 or delivered in-person to the Foundation office by 8:00 PM on September 15.
- A donation form will be included in the toolkit and it must accompany all check and cash donations in order for it to be applied to their Connect to a Cause total (one form per donation).
- While recurring donations are encouraged, only donations received on the Connect to a Cause day count towards the total.
- The minimum donation amount is $5.
The Community Foundation will acknowledge all contributions. Automatic thank you emails will go out to all donors who donate via credit card at peoplewhocare.org.
Following Connect to a Cause, a list of donors will be sent to each organization, however, donors who wish to remain anonymous will remain anonymous.
For marketing, or general event questions:
Brittany Lovett, Marketing and Communications Officer
For questions regarding your endowment fund:
Laura Malone, Development Officer
For technical questions regarding the grant catalog or downloading an item from the online toolkit:
Missy Timko, Data Management Coordinator
For questions regarding donations:
Jim Stobe, CFO