Connect to a Cause 2021
Connecting People who Care with Causes that Matter
Last year, our community raised $147K plus a $40K match for a total of $187K for Lorain County non-profit organizations through Connect to a Cause! Over 1,000 individuals donated money to the 56 organizations that participated in Connect to a Cause 2020.
This year, our goal is to raise even more and expand our number of donors to have an even greater and lasting impact for Lorain County non-profit organizations.
FAQs for Participating Organizations
Any Lorain County non-profit 501(c)(3) organization who has an agency endowment fund with Community Foundation of Lorain County is able to participate in Connect to a Cause upon completion of the following:
- Lorain County non-profit 501(c)(3) organizations who already have an established agency endowment fund at the Community Foundation of Lorain County only need to complete the online registration form.
- If your organization would like to establish an agency endowment fund, there must be an initial meeting with Laura Malone and draft endowment agreement completed by March 31, 2021. Fully executed endowment agreement and initial gift submitted by May 31, 2021 in order to participate in Connect to a Cause.
- To register, you need to complete the online registration form that can be found in our grants portal. This form must be completed and all necessary information and graphics supplied to the Foundation by March 31, 2021. The last day to register is March 31, 2021 and this deadline will not be extended.
- If you do not have a login for the grants portal, please contact Missy Timko, Data Management Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 440.984.7390 to have one created for you.
- Two informational webinars will be held for participants – July 15 and September 8 at 11:00am. A representative from participating organizations are required to attend both of these meetings. During the July meeting, we will discuss the toolkit and any possible prize offerings. The September meeting will feature day-of-event operations and answer any last minute questions.
Connect to a Cause is a community-wide day of giving created to support our local non-profit agencies in Lorain County. It is modeled after the idea of crowdfunding, which is, according to Google, the practice of funding a venture by raising many small amounts of money from a large number of people typically via the internet. In this instance, all donations will be coordinated by the Community Foundation of Lorain County and then disbursed to participating organizations following the day of giving.
- There is no limit to the amount of money a non-profit can raise during Connect to a Cause. The number of donors is also not limited.
- 25% of the organization’s fundraising proceeds from Connect to a Cause will remain in each organization’s agency endowment fund. The remaining donations will be given directly to the organization to support their mission.
- A preliminary donation total will be announced after 8:00 PM on Thursday, September 16.
- Proceeds will be available to organizations around October 1. More details about how and where you will receive your check will be shared at a later date.
Now is the time to create a promotional calendar and schedule for your organization! As soon as your organization has received their approval to participate, you are encouraged to being to share your participation with with supporters, donors, volunteers, employees, and Board Members.
- Upon acceptance of your registration form, you will receive a participant badge for you to display on your website, stationary, newsletter, or other marketing pieces until the toolkit is delivered mid-July.
- Our Connect to a Cause marketing toolkit will be emailed to all participating organizations in mid-July. The toolkit will include various digital marketing pieces for you to use on your website, social media, in newsletters or in other creative ways. Find unique ways that tie into your organization’s mission to share your message.
- If you have questions or additional suggestions, please contact Brittany Lovett, Marketing & Communications Officer at Community Foundation of Lorain County email@example.com or 440.984.7390.
There is no fee associated with participating in Connect to a Cause for the organization. However, any donation made via credit card will incur processing fees of 2.9% plus $0.30. We have implemented an option for donors to cover a portion of the credit card fee at a flat rate of 3%.
The easiest way for your donor to make a donation will be through the Community Foundation website at peoplewhocare.org by using a debit or credit card.
- Checks and cash are also acceptable forms of payment.
- Checks and/or cash must be postmarked by Thursday, September 16 or delivered in-person to the Foundation office by 8:00 PM on September 16.
- A donation form will be included in the toolkit and it must accompany all check and cash donations in order for it to be applied to their Connect to a Cause total (one form per donation).
- While recurring donations are encouraged, only donations received on the Connect to a Cause day count towards the total.
- The minimum donation amount is $5.
For marketing or general event questions:
Brittany Lovett, Marketing and Communications Officer
For questions regarding establishing an endowment fund:
Laura Malone, Development Officer
For technical questions regarding the grant catalog or completing the registration form:
Missy Timko, Data Management Coordinator
For questions regarding donations:
Jim Stobe, CFO
FAQ questions updated 1/20/2021.