Your planned gift to the Community Foundation of Lorain County will have meaning and impact for generations to come. Legacy giving does not require a large income or vast estate. Legacy giving only requires a thoughtful intention to make a difference by identifying a charitable organization in your will or estate plan.
About Our Legacy Society
Those who remember the Foundation through a will, trust, designation or other planned gift, are invited to join in the Community Foundation's Legacy Society. Too often, these gifts are unrecognized because we are unaware of these special gifts until the donor has passed away. At these times, proper appreciation cannot be expressed and questions regarding the specific purpose of the gift may remain unanswered. The Legacy Society provides a way to recognize and thank donors during their lifetime(s), and ensure that your wishes are properly documented.
Involvement in the Legacy Society gives you the opportunity to enjoy the company of others who, like yourself, care about leaving a legacy to protect and strengthen this community.
You may always choose to remain anonymous in your philanthropy. However, participation in the Legacy Society can be an inspirational experience, and may encourage others to look toward the future and how they too may have an enduring impact on the causes they care about.
Only a statement of intent to leave a gift to the County Foundation of Lorain County is required. No documentation of gift amount or type is necessary. Legacy Society members may designate the use of the distributions from their future gifts, or may leave the distributions to the discretion of our Board of Directors. A Legacy Society gift may be used to establish a new fund or may be added to any of the Foundation's existing funds.
Benefits of Legacy Giving
Legacy giving offers us a way to make a difference, far beyond the measure of one lifetime.
Benefits of joining the Legacy Society include:
- A relationship with the Foundation and other donors during your lifetime.
- A role in determining how your legacy gift will be used.
- Satisfaction in knowing your legacy will make a difference for your community.
- Special recognition in newsletters and annual reports, unless anonymity is desired.
- Invitation to the June annual meeting and other special donor events.
- Complimentary subscription to Sprouting Hope, CFLC's monthly e-mail newsletter.
- Receipt of the CFLC Annual Report.
- Some planned gifts can reduce your tax burden during your lifetime, such as gifts of securities donated in-kind.
Types of Planned Giving
Gifts made through a bequest in a will or trust are not the only means of becoming a member of the Legacy Society. Other ways in which donors can apply personal resources toward the betterment of their community through the Legacy Society include:
- Bequest in a Will or Living Trust
- Gifts of Life Insurance
- Charitable Gift Annuities
- Charitable Remainder Trusts
- Beneficiary Designation of Individual Retirement Accounts (IRA, 401K, 403B)
If you've already included the Community Foundation in your will, we encourage you to let us know so that we may honor you as a member of the Legacy Society.
Legacy Society members share a dedication to Northeast Ohio – but every act of giving is personal and unique. Contact us to discuss your preferences.
Your planned gift puts you in good company today. Tomorrow, your endowed fund will be multiplied with the gifts from other caring individuals and families for the betterment of our community for generations to come.
Thank you for the trust you place in the Community Foundation of Lorain County.
- Turn donors' charitable dreams into permanent legacies.
- Investing in our community through strategic grant-making.
- Leading our community to a better future.