The Board is very concerned about accountability and sustainability of programs. Organizations should have a diversified funding base. The Board is also interested in innovative programs that are responsive to community needs, partnerships and collaborative efforts. Lower priority is given to capital and equipment requests, services required by state law, and duplication of existing services.
Grant seekers may only apply for one project per grant cycle. Organizations must be located in or provide services to residents within Lorain County. Grant seekers outside Lorain County must provide information on Lorain County residents served. Grants will only be awarded to tax-exempt organizations classified as 501(c)(3) charities by the Internal Revenue Service. If your program does not have a tax-exempt ruling from the IRS, please complete the Fiscal Sponsor Information Form.
Reporting requirements from prior grants must be fulfilled before applying again. Grants will not be made to individuals, for debt reduction, loans, for-profit businesses, tickets for benefits, annual appeals, tours, telephone solicitations, political campaigns and religious activities. Scholarships will only be paid to accredited educational institutions (no payments to students).
Fill in the application forms completely. Incomplete applications may result in your grant application being deferred to another grant cycle or declined.
You may need to include additional information with your grant request depending on the grant cycle to which you are applying:
- A cover letter signed by the board president and executive director.
- Financial statements: projected annual budget and year-to-date activity.
- 3 years organizational budget comparison: detailing actual revenue and expenses in $ and % (2 prior fiscal years and the current year). Example, itemize sources from government (federal/state/county/city), program fees (separate programs), individual donations, corporations, foundations, federated campaigns, endowment, fundraisers, others. The budget should also reflect organizational administrative and program costs.
- A projected future program budget of revenue sources that will sustain the program beyond our grant.
- Most recent audit (full copy with notes).
- Copy of your most recent IRS Form 990 filed.
- List of current board members. (Indicate any members who are paid staff.)
- Most recent Annual Report.
- Dated newspaper articles about your agency and brochures.
- Support letters should be sent with your application and not sent separately.
- IRS tax-exempt letter.